About the Ecological Farming Association
EcoFarm is a non-profit educational organization founded in 1981. We are funded through our activities and projects, community contributions, business sponsorships, membership donations, and grants.
30 Years of Advancing Ecological Farming
Through EcoFarm’s consistent quality of programs, we have developed a far-reaching network of people, NGOs, and businesses committed to sustainable agriculture. EcoFarm’s education programs have reached more than 60,000 participants during 30 years. Our programs bring together a diversity of stakeholders in California food production to promote grassroots leadership and regional solutions to decrease the negative impacts of industrial agriculture on environmental and community health.
EcoFarm brings people together to provide education, alliance building and advocacy
The Ecological Farming Association nurtures healthy and just farms, food systems, communities and environment by bringing people together for education, alliance building and advocacy. Through educational conferences, training programs, on-farm events and communications initiatives, we pursue a safe and healthful food system that strengthens soils, protects air and water, encourages diverse ecosystems and economies, and honors rural life. The public is engaged in an ever-growing conversation about where our food comes from, who grows it, and who has access to it – and EcoFarm is uniquely positioned to influence and amplify this conversation and translate it into action. EcoFarm has been a leader in building the California sustainable agriculture movement for 30 years through
- Thriving conferences and on-farm events like the Eco-Farm Conference, the Hoes Down Harvest Festival, and the Heartland Project in the San Joaquin Valley.
- Influential and far-reaching farmer trainings on renewable energy and water and soil management – allowing farmers to cut down on production costs while providing environmental benefits.
- Credible and persuasive media presence through farmer media trainings and targeted press outreach on important food and farm issues.
- A powerful voice in support of organic- and farmer-friendly programs through education pieces and action alerts sent to our e-mail network.
The History of EcoFarm
- 1970s:Most organic farms were small and the technology and market immature. There was no forum for organic farmers to get together and share information.
- 1981: The first Ecological Farming Conference was held at the Firehouse in Winters, California and 45 people attended.
- 1990s: The Eco-Farm Conference continued to grow and moved to Asilomar in Pacific Grove, California.
- 2010: 30th Anniversary of the Eco-Farm Conference, a regularly sold-out gathering of 1600+ farmers, retailers, processors, consumers, and advocates.